How to Start a Blog For Free – Easy Free Beginners Guide
Blogs have now become an integral part of the Internet world. Whenever we hear the word blog we know that it is something related to new technology, but the question arises is how to start a blog.
There are many benefits of owning a blog, it can be used to promote your business or profession, or you can just share your images/videos with your friend and family. Here are the steps-by-steps guide to start a blog.
Choosing a Blog Niche
If you’re going to write about something regularly and keep your blog updated with new post, then you need to write about something that you are passionate about. Choosing a niche that you are passionate about makes the process of starting a successful blog a lot easier. You can try some of these ideas:
Fashion Blog: Fashion blogs are quickly becoming the next big thing in the fashion industry. If you love fashion, share your passion with the world through your own fashion blog. Fashion is a broad category, so consider focusing on a specific area of fashion that you are most excited about.
Food Blog: If you love food and preparing it, starting a food blog may be a good choice for you. A food blog is really simple and there are many things you can do such as take photos of either what you cook or what you eat (even though you didn’t cook it yourself) and then share it on a blog. Occasionally, you can even share your recipes on how to make them or share your thoughts about the place where you had the particular dish.
Gaming Blog: Gaming is one of the fastest-growing industries online and there are lots of people out there that already blogging about video games. You can write reviews or you can just post your thoughts on how much you enjoyed a particular game.
Health Blog: If you’re thinking of start a blog about health and wellness niche, you’re definitely heading in the right direction. However, your goal should be to direct your readers towards solutions to their problems and providing useful and valuable information. On health blog addressing a health issue and its solution should be first priority.
Movie Blog: Concept of a movie blog is quite simple; You just need to blog about movies. You can also post content like reviews or videos about your favorite movies.
Business Blog: A business blog is about connecting with prospects and customers; it is about sharing yourself rather than your service and/or product. A business blog can be an ideal way to communicate with your customers. It can also attract new potential customers to your company’s website.
Technology Blog: If you are passionate about a tech and gadgets, and you have a lot of experience in that area, then you can offer your knowledge to both people who are new or who are as experienced as you are.
Inspirational Blog: If you overcome an obstacle, such as a serious illness or a difficult life experience, you can share your story to inspire others.
Choose a Domain Name For Your Blog
The domain name or domain is basically the web address of your blog. It is something all of your visitors will see, hence it’s extremely important that you pick your blog’s domain wisely. It’s crucial that you chose a domain name according to your blog niche. It should tell your visitors something about what your blog has to offer. Try to Keep it short since you don’t want your readers to forget it if it’s too long. Here some basic while picking a domain name:
- Make it memorable.
- Make it short. Short names are easy to type, easy to remember, and easy to share.
- Make it easy to spell.
- Avoid hyphen and numbers.
- Include your main keywords but don’t use difficult words.
- Avoid trademarked names.
- Choose an appropriate top-level domain, example: .com .org .net
- Register more than one domain names if necessary.
Please Note: You do not need to buy a domain name to start a blog. You will be provided a free sub-domain name from the blogging service provider on signing-up with them.
Choose a Blogging Platform
Choosing your blogging platform depends on what you want to achieve with your blog. If you want a blog just for fun, then choosing any blog platform doesn’t really matter. However, if you want to take your blog to a next level and intend to make money through it, we recommended using WordPress.
Blogger.com: Google owns Blogger and has provided all the sets of tools so that it is easy to set up and maintain. You will get a free blogspot domain name such as blogname.blogspot.com, or you can purchase a custom domain name for US$10 per year If you already own a domain name, you can use it on blogger at no extra cost.
WordPress.com: WordPress has become the most popular blog platform and is the favorite blogging tool for many. You can find a wide variety of more sophisticated tools for enhancing and promoting your blog.
You will get a free domain name such as blogname.wordpress.com, or you can purchase a custom domain name on WordPress for 18$ per year. To map an existing domain name on WordPress; they will charge about 13$ per year.
On WordPress you can also like or reblog other’s blog’s post on your own blog and other users can do the same to your posts.
Please note that there is a difference between WordPress.com (free) and WordPress.org (self-hosted). WordPress.org provides the blogging software so that you can download and install WordPress on your personal hosting server.
Having a WordPress on your own server means you have full access to your blog’s backend, full sets of features and improved SEO performance.
Tumblr.com: Tumblr is micro-blogging site and easy-to-use platform. You will get a free domain name such has blogname.tumblr.com, or you can personalize your Tumblr blog with your own domain name. Tumblr provides all sets of tools to post text, images, video, links, quotes, and audio. You can like or reblog other’s blog post on your own blog and other users can do the same to your posts.
Bonus Blogging Tips
Creating and maintaining a quality blog needs efforts, time and knowledge. By having an active blog, you can be found easily; however, there are some points you need to care about:
1. Always check your facts before posting any information. Whether it be news or any review made sure what you post is correct.
2. You cannot post other’s people article and images. Plagiarism is a serious offense in blogging avoid violating the copyright law. If you are referring to other peoples’ work make sure to give them credit and a backlink.
3. Don not give out too much personal information such as your full name, your location or other identifying information.
4. Some readers can post a provocative comment, try to handle it smartly. Don’t insult or abuse any reader.
5. Make sure you have contact information clearly visible on your site. You should want to stand behind your work and take responsibility for your views.
6. Stick with a single topic per post. Do not try to address multiple issues in one writing. Furthermore, make sure of that theme and topic of your blog stays consistent.
7. It is important that you post regularly. Nothing will sink a blog more quickly than having no new content posted; people will leave and will avoid visiting again.
8. Make sure you moderate, and respond to comments. When a reader left a comment, please have the courtesy to respond to them. People like to be heard and validated.